Okay, so this week is all about building a scene for Fuel & Fire. This will be the first scene I’ve created for the book. For starters I roughed out the pages needed for the scene using stand-in objects.
- These represent 4 pages in the scene. The scene will encompass about 5 pages.
- Comic will be in landscape form.
- The red shapes are the clipping mask showing through (being that the images are not cropped and sized to fill the frame). This will obviously be fixed in the final.
- The images will be shaded like the single frame in panel 2 on the first page.
- The purple is rough placement of sound FX.
- The white is rough placement of narration and dialogue.
- The red diagonal lines are some changes to the panel shapes and gutters to break them out of their plain box form.
- SketchUp – rough, and eventually final renders (though I might do this in Google Layout).
- Maya – character posing and deformation.
- Photoshop – for the roughs and final layout (though I might use Illustrator for the final).
- The Hunter Creature
- Mangled Hunter Creature
- FMC – XR311
- FMC -XR311 (gas peddle)
- Dust FX
- Water Bottles
- HAM Radio
Roughing the Page Process:
- [PS] Load up my custom template (10 1/4″ x 6 5/8″ landscape)(facing pages).
- [SU] Open up scene file in SketchUp.
- [SU] Import basic assets, arrange, and set camera angle (save as scene).
- [SU] Screen shot (alt+PrtScrn) the panel shot in SU.
- [PS] Paste (ctrl+v) as separate layer in template file.
- [PS] Crop out any extra items in screen shot.
- [PS] Create panel in a separate layer (for use as a clipping mask). Arrange on page.
- [PS] Arrange layers so that image is on top of clipping mask – right click on layer ans select, “create clipping mask”.
- [PS] Fine tune image in mask.
- Repeat steps 3-9 for each panel.